What is it?
Yield Protection (YP) provides protection against a loss in yield due to unavoidable, naturally occurring events. For most crops, that includes adverse weather, fire, insects, plant disease, wildlife, earthquake, volcanic eruption, and failure of the irrigation water supply due to a naturally occurring event. YP guarantees a production yield based on the individual producer’s APH. A price for YP is established according to the crop’s applicable commodity board of trade/exchange as defined in the Commodity Exchange Price Provisions (CEPP.) The projected price is used to determine the yield and to value the production to count less than the yield protection guarantee.
How does it work?
- Establishes a guarantee of bushels per acre
- YP Projected Price is determined by futures contracts, and APH price is established by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC)
- Pays an indemnity if the production to count falls below the yield guarantee
What does it cost?
Per-acre premiums will depend on the county of the insured crop, unit structure, the crop’s APH yield, and price elections. Higher coverage levels and higher elected prices result in higher premiums.
Why should I get Yield Protection?
- Offers a competitive premium
- Subsidized by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC)
- Protection against production loss
- Based on a producer’s own production history
- Provides coverage levels ranging from 50% to 85% of the APH in 5% increments
- Provides coverage on basic and optional units
- Enterprise and whole-farm unit coverage is available in some areas
- 60-100% coverage of the projected or RMA price
- Late Planting Coverage: May provide additional time to plant crops when conditions prevent timely planting.
- Prevented Planting: May allow for payments when insurable causes of loss prevent you from planting your crops.
- Replant Provisions: May provide an additional payment for the extra expenses involved when it is practical to replant and the acreage qualifies.